"Chris O’Doherty is better known in the world of art and more particularly the Board Culture by the name Reg Mombassa. Star artist for the mythical Australian surfing brand, Mambo, his illustrations and paintings have been touring the planet thanks to this brand since 1986. A reputed musician (Mental as Anything – 11 albums) and artist from the vogue of the Seventies, Reg is hugely inspired by the wind, semi-professional clowns who work birthdays, big machines and pet behavior... His sources of inspiration, personal style and talent put his work at the heart of Board Culture. His canvases hang among the permanent collections of Australia’s national museums, and Reg was invited by the city of Milano to teach and present his work during the Triennial of Milano in 1999. "
- Chris/Reg began working as a freelance artist in 1976, designing T-shirts and posters for organizations such as Greenpeace, the Rock Eisteddfod, Circus Oz, the Opera House Trust, the Surrealist Exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW, Redfern Legal Aid, the Wilderness Society, Westmead Children’s Hospital, The Powerhouse Museum, The Paralympic Arts Festival etc.
- He has worked closely with Mambo Graphics since 1986 designing t-shirts and posters.
- exhibition of Mambo posters at the Nightwave 99 trade fair in Rimini an Italian seaside resort, where Reg also gave a presentation.
- In June of 1999 Mambo held an art exhibition of original artwork and posters in London
- Examples of his work have appeared in over 70 publications including Rolling Stone, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian and the London Observer.
The National Art Gallery,
Canberra Art Gallery of New South Wales
Powerhouse Museum of NSW
University of Sydney Union