Steve Jobs, on Paul Rand:"I asked him if he could come up with a few options, and he said: no, i will solve your problem for you, and you will pay me; and you don't have to use the solution, if you want options, go talk to other people, but I will solve your problem for you the best way I know how, and you will use it or not, that's up to you, you're the client, but you will pay me." "Paul is a very interesting, intertwining of a pure artist, and somebody who is very astute at solving business problems."
- "Simplicity is not the goal, it is the by product of a good idea & modest expectations." Paul Rand
- "typography is an art; good typography is art." Paul Rand
- "perception is reality, reality is not reality, it is only what people think" Paul Rand
- Design is the method of putting form and content together. Design, just as art, has multiple definitions; there is no single definition. Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated.
- “Without aesthetic, design is either the humdrum repetition of familiar cliches or a wild scramble for novelty. Without the aesthetic, the computer is but a mindless speed machine, producing effects without substance. Form without relevant content, or content without meaningful form.”
- Paul Rand
- “Design is everything. Everything!”
- "Don't try to be original; just try to be good."
- "You will learn most things by looking, but reading gives understanding. Reading will make you free."
"The artist is a collector of things imaginary or real. He accumulates things with the same enthusiasm that a little boy stuffs his pockets. The scrap heap and the museum are embraced with equal curiosity. He takes snapshots, makes notes and records impressions on tablecloths or newspapers, on backs of envelopes or matchbooks. Why one thing and not another is part of the mystery, but he is omnivorous."